Why You Need A Bedside Gun Safe
Bedside gun safes are a staple for the concealed carrier. Having your firearm available when you are in bed and your family is at its most vulnerable is as important as anything. Knowing you can reach over, and in seconds, draw your gun at your bedside will help you sleep well at night.
Having your firearm available to while you sleep comes with a risk, and having the bedside safe helps reduce those risks. If you have children around, you want to make sure you keep the availability of the gun to only yourself or your partner, as well as keep it out of the hands of any criminals that may be looking for an easy score.
Best Bedside Gun Safes
- VAULTEK PRO VTi
- VAULTEK VT20i
- GunVault SV500
- SentrySafe Pistol Safe
- VAULTEK MX High Capacity
- AmazonBasics Security Safe
In this article we will look at the different options that are available to you in every budget range. However, we want this gun safe to be reliable, so we will stick to only the ones that we feel are reliable enough to open when you need them at any time.
VAULTEK Pro VTi
We will start with the Ferrari of bedside safes. If you are a person who wants the best for your firearms, this is the safe for you. While this may be on the upper end it is still only a few hundred dollars more than the least expensive safe on this list. But that money does not go to waste.
The Vaultek Pro VTi comes with all the bells and whistles, including four different color options. Available in Alpine White, Desert Tan, Stealth Black, and Urban Camo, this safe can look good on any nightstand. The bonus feature with this safe is it is able to hold more than one firearm.
- HIGH CAPACITY safe for multiple handguns
- 12-GAUGE carbon steel construction with a durable powder coat finish
- 5-POINT ENTRY with the unique NEW SMART KEY with immediate access mode, upgraded SMART ALIGN biometric scanner, rapid fire backlit keypad, Bluetooth app, and manual keys
- SMART SAFE TECHNOLOGY a highly interactive experience from your smartphone. You can easily toggle on/off using the available hotkeys if desired and still maintain all other safe functions.
- A RECHARGEABLE LITHIUM-ION battery provides power up to 3 months, and charges in 2.5 hours with the included micro-USB charging kit.
Price. That’s about it in our opinion.
This is the second Vaultek on our list, and compared to its high end brother it’s not too shabby. Currently available in both Stealth Black and Urban Camo, this safe is very similar in looks to the Pro VTi as well.
After losing a few of the nice extra features, the price does come down a bit for the VT20i version.
- SMART SAFE TECHNOLOGY a highly interactive experience from your smartphone. You can easily toggle on/off using the available hotkeys if desired and still maintain all other safe functions
- A RECHARGEABLE LITHIUM-ION battery provides power up to 4 months, and charges in 2.5 hours with the included micro-USB charging kit
- RESPONSIVE LED LIGHTING in low light situations so you can locate your safe with the backlit keypad and easily view your safe contents with an adjustable interior LED light.
- TOUGH AND RUGGED heavy-duty 16-gauge carbon steel construction
- UPGRADED ANTI-THEFT PROTECTION features anti-pry bars, two point anti-impact latches, interior mounted hinges, and NEW interior security brackets
Some complaints have been made about the range while using your smartphone is rather short as well as the fingerprint reader having troubles with its sensor. However, those complaints have been minimal compared to the hundreds of reviews submitted at the time of this article. This safe currently has a 4.5 star rating on Amazon.
The GunVault SV500 is a very versatile bedside safe. It comes in either biometric (it reads your fingerprint) or combination, with the combination version being a very budget friendly option. Both versions, however, are able to be a little more concealed than your average bedside gun safe, as it can attach to the side of a nightstand or bed rail.
- 18-Gauge steel construction, with protective foam-lined interior
- Mounts almost anywhere, in any direction
- Precise fittings are virtually impossible to pry open with hand tools
- Interior light for easy use at night
Some have mentioned that the battery life tends to be a little low. Others argue that with good batteries and minimal use they last for many months. This safe does come with manual backup keys just in case.
SentrySafe Pistol Safe
Mixing value and features, this bedside gun safe is the practical man’s choice. Hovering just over the $100 range and still offering a portion of the features, this safe does what most want with a safe, but without the high end aesthetics. Another good sign for this safe is that after well over 1000 reviews, this safe comes with a very high rating on Amazon. You know what you get with this safe.
- BIOMETRIC HANDGUN SAFE: Gun storage for one standard handgun has a biometric lock with fingerprint scanner for advanced protection. Soft Interior Lining
- QUICK ENTRY: This gun safe has a quick, quiet, entry with compression gas strut that opens the door silently and holds open for single-handed access
- Override key for convenient backup access; Fingerprint safe is certified to California DOJ Requirements
- Pry resistant door and solid steel construction providing strength and security against unauthorized access to firearms
As with the VAULTEK VT20i, some complain about the bio-metric reader no reading well. This may be a problem, but the extreme high ratings for this safe lead me to believe this is a rare issue. Good thing Amazon offers the free returns.
VAULTEK MX High Capacity
If you want plenty of room for your firearm (or multiple), as well as some extra magazines, and valuables, then this is the safe for you.
The Vaultek MX offers an enormous amount of space. It also offers almost all the options today’s modern safes include. This thing is a beast! Seriously, you need to check it out! While it does come with a pretty hefty price tag, it will be worth every penny.
- HIGH CAPACITY INTERIOR can store up to (8) handguns, magazines, passports, cash, wallet, EDC, and mountable to nightstands or other stationary objects using pre-drilled holes and included mounting hardware
- DIMENSIONS: 15” x 11.5” x 11.6”. INTERIOR DIMENSIONS: 13” x 11” x 8.6”
- ADVANCED ANTI-THEFT PROTECTION includes anti-pry bars and Dual anti-impact latches for the ultimate prevention against break-ins. Equipped with IMPACT DETECTION SYSTEM to sound an alarm on safe if someone bumps or impacts the safe
- QUICK ACCESS with an oversized HIGH RESOLUTION BIOMETRIC SCANNER capable of storing 20 unique fingerprints, auto-illuminating 8-digit keypad with built-in proximity sensor, Smart Key Nano, your smartphone, or manual keys
Price…this is the most expensive safe on our list. It is also the safe with the best build quality, and the most features!
AmazonBasics Security Safe
If you want a budget friendly bedside gun safe, this is it. The AmazonBasics Security Safe comes in at under $100. It still offers plenty of security and plenty of storage when choosing the 1 cubic foot version. This safe will store your firearm as well as a few extras.
What you lose with this safe from the above safes is no biometric reader is included, downgraded aesthetics, and a lower quality construction. However, if all you are looking for is to keep the gun away from little hands, or out of the hands of unwelcome visitors, then this will do the job.
- Steel Construction with Carpeted Floor
- 2 Live-Door Bolts and Pry-Resistant Concealed Hinges
- Reprogrammable Digital Access + 2 Override Keys
- Adjustable Interior Shelf & Mounting Hardware
Some of the outside parts are made of plastic and have complaints of breaking. Another complaint listed is that the digital keypad is no longer working. However, like the other safes on our list, we chose this one due to a huge amount of positive reviews with the average coming in at about 4 stars.
What To Look For In a Bedside Gun Safe
If you are not happy with the options listed above, here are a few things to look for when shopping for your bedside safe.
You want to make sure you are getting a safe that can comfortably hold your firearm and any other accessories that need locked up. You also need to consider where you are putting your safe. If it is going on top of a small nightstand, make sure you don’t have a huge heavy safe.
While you want access to be difficult (I mean, it is a safe), you also want to be able to quickly retrieve your firearm.
While all of the safes listed above offer key codes, some also offer thumb/finger print access. This can make for a very quick draw, however, it can also cause problems if you purchase a low quality safe. Some print readers have been know to have issues on budget safes.
You can also find some options that offer a remote button that opens up the safe quickly, and can be placed wherever you want.
The quality of the safe is usually tied to the company that is building the product. If you can afford it, go with the name brand options. We have listed Vaultek a few times on our list as it is one of our favorites.
There you have it…five choices for a bedside gun safe ranging along a broad range of prices, all with Amazon Prime shipping. All you need to do is decide your budget and match up your desired features.
To see more of our recommendations please see our Recommended Gear page! We have condensed many of our recommendations for popular concealed carry items into one spot. If you are looking for something not on the list, let us know!
Sleep well at night, and stay safe.